This week’s Pause for Poetry focuses on a reading of
Charles Bukowski’s poem, “the man with the beautiful eyes” from his book The Last Night of the Earth Poems.
- He attended Los Angeles City College from 1939 to 1941.
- His first book of poetry was not published until 1959.
- He wrote the 1987 film Barfly with Mickey Rourke. (In its obituary of Bukowski, The New York Post used a photo of Mickey Rourke as Henry Chinaski in the film instead of a photo of CB).
- He worked as a dishwasher, truck driver and loader, mail carrier, security guard, gas station attendant, stock boy, warehouse worker, shipping clerk, post office clerk, parking lot attendant, Red Cross orderly, and elevator operator.
- He also reportedly worked in a dog biscuit factory, a slaughterhouse, and a cake and cookie factory.
- He almost single-handedly revived the career of John Fante, one of LA’s greatest writers.
CB Book Checklist
Books by John Fante